Tree Pose - Vrksasana
Tree Pose has several different variations to choose from. Whether balance is difficult for you, or if you would like as much challenge as possible, there is an option for you.
Start in Mountain Pose.
- Lift your right foot off the floor, opening up your knee toward the outside.
- Place the bottom of your foot on the inside of your left leg, above or below the knee (Not on the knee). You can grab your foot with your hand and bring it up higher on your leg.
- Inhale straightening and extending your spine and neck toward the ceiling.
- Open your right knee out to open your hips, but without moving your left hip. At the same time, press your right foot and left thigh against each other.
- Lift your arms up toward the ceiling, palms facing each other.
- To come out of Tree Pose, lower your arms and leg down to Mountain Pose.
Variation - Hands Together
You can stay there, with your arms like the branches of a tree. Or you can bring your hands together in a steeple over your head and pull toward the sky, increasing the stretch in your back.
Variation - Looking Up
For more challenge: Clasp the hands together and lift your hands up toward the ceiling with the palms facing up. Then, look up at your hands.
Variation - Toes On The Ground
If balancing is difficult, try simply placing your right foot against your left ankle, with your toes touching the floor. Use your toes to help keeping balance.
Main Target / Benefits
- Improves balance.
- Improves concentration.
- Strengthens feet, ankles and legs.
Caution / Recommendation
- Practice with your hand on a wall if balance is a concern.